Upward Bound Channel Islands (UBCI) is a year-round comprehensive pre-college preparatory program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The TRiO program is designed to assist students from Channel Islands High School with college readiness & planning, career exploration, social and cultural enrichment and motivation necessary to complete high school and pursue a college education. Program services and activities are free to qualifying students. Students can even earn a monthly stipend for their active participation.
The goals of UBCI are to:
- Raise high school GPAs to a level consistent with college entry
- Prepare students for a successful application and entry into college
- Help students and families pursue federal financial aid and other sources of funding for college.
- Increase students success in Higher Education
During the academic year, UBCI offers services in:
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling and advising
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Financial, College and Career Saturdays Events
- College Visits/College Fairs
- Educational and Cultural Field Trips
- After-school Tutoring and Mentoring
- A summer college component designed to enrich students academic skills in a college setting
- Bus transportation for selected events
Who can be in UBCI?
In order to qualify, students must:
- Be enrolled in 9-12 grade at Channel Islands High School
- Be a potential first generation college student AND/OR come from a home where the family meets the federal income level eligibility requirements. Refer to Federal TRIO Program chart for Annual Income levels.
- A U.S. citizen or have intentions to become a permanent resident.
- Demonstrate a desire to do their best in school and to go on to college after high school graduation.
- Complete and submit the entire UBCI application and its required documents.
Once in the program, UBCI students are expected to:
- Be in school and on time every day.
- Attend tutoring as assigned
- Check the UBCI website on a regular basis for Announcements, Calendar of events, and other activities at www.lnescoxnard.org.
- Attend all parent and student meetings.
- Attend the six-week summer academy.
Are you ready to apply?
Download an application packet OR drop by the UBCI office at Channel Islands High School, Room 45A.