Upward Bound Channel Islands (UBCI) is a year-round comprehensive pre-college preparatory program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The TRiO program is designed to assist students from Channel Islands High School with college readiness & planning, career exploration, social and cultural enrichment and motivation necessary to complete high school and pursue a college education. Program services and activities are free to qualifying students. Students can even earn a monthly stipend for their active participation.
The goals of UBCI are to:
- Raise high school GPAs to a level consistent with college entry
- Prepare students for a successful application and entry into college
- Help students and families pursue federal financial aid and other sources of funding for college.
- Increase students success in Higher Education
During the academic year, UBCI offers services in:
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling and advising
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Financial, College and Career Saturdays Events
- College Visits/College Fairs
- Educational and Cultural Field Trips
- After-school Tutoring and Mentoring
- A summer college component designed to enrich students academic skills in a college setting
- Bus transportation for selected events
- View our UBCI Flyer for more information, Click here --> UBCI Flyer
Who can be in UBCI?
In order to qualify, students must:
- Be enrolled in 9-12 grade at Channel Islands High School
- Be a potential first generation college student AND/OR come from a home where the family meets the federal income level eligibility requirements. Refer to Federal TRIO Program chart for Annual Income levels.
- A U.S. citizen or have intentions to become a permanent resident.
- Demonstrate a desire to do their best in school and to go on to college after high school graduation.
- Complete and submit the entire UBCI application and its required documents.
Once in the program, UBCI students are expected to:
- Be in school and on time every day.
- Attend tutoring as assigned
- Check the UBCI website on a regular basis for Announcements, Calendar of events, and other activities at www.lnescoxnard.org.
- Attend all parent and student meetings.
- Attend the six-week summer academy.
Are you ready to apply?
You'll need to 1) click on the fillable application below, 2) download and "Save as" to your computer, 3) complete and sign, then 4) submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here for the application --> bit.ly/UBCIApp
**For any questions on completing the application, please contact us at email@example.com or call 818-631-4557.